Saturday, February 27, 2010

What kind of clear coat is good for a fresh painted dresser?

I just painted a dresser for my daughter's nursery and I didn't sand it first. ( i know.. rookie move) I wanted to paint a clear coat over top of it to give it a little more protection but I also don't want it to ';eat away'; at the paint (as I'm afraid polyurethane will). It's a semi-gloss paint. Any help is much appreciated...ThanksWhat kind of clear coat is good for a fresh painted dresser?
True you should have prepped the surface, however, if the paint is thoroughly dry, a clear latex polyurethane should not disturb the paint, regardless if the coat of paint you used is oil or latex base. I used a lear exterior on porch furniture last year that I did not primer and technically didn't require sanding. I have two years now exposed to the weather indirectly and there is no sign of wear, chipping or cracking of the painted surface.What kind of clear coat is good for a fresh painted dresser?
The clear coat will not eat away at the paint, but your final product will hold better if you wait two weeks, then sand lightly with wetted 400-grit wet-and-dry sandpaper to remove the gloss. Apply three coats of clear coat, sanding with the wet-and-dry sandpaper between coats unless the poly has a matte finish.
for the best option take the name of the semi gloss paint to a trade store and ask for advice. normally you would not need to apply additional protection to a semi gloss in a nursery. if you are really worried about durability, repaint with a full gloss.

No comments:

Post a Comment