Saturday, February 27, 2010

Clear coat on poly-urethane black paint?

I am getting my '90 Ford Ranger painted black. I prep'd it myself so I have money to spend on expensive paint. I think I'll be using a glossy poly-urethane black but I have heard that I don't need a clear coat over that paint. Is that true? Would the paint itself shine as much as a clear coat? I also live in the Texas sun, if that would affect the need for a clear coat. Thanks, I appreciate your time.Clear coat on poly-urethane black paint?
Poly-urethane is basically a plastic. Never having used it, I would paint a piece and leave it in the sun, just to see. Clear-coats can add a lot of depth, but I would experiment on that as well.





I paint bicycles, and when I want serious depth, I mix a tiny bit of clear with my base color and as the coats progress each shoot uses less color and more clear. If there is any Metallic in your black, the particles that make it Metallic become suspended with less and less density which makes for exteme luster and beauty.Clear coat on poly-urethane black paint?
I wouldn't use a clear coat if I were you. They fade obviously overtime especially over black paint.
ABSOLUTELY I WOULD CLEAR COAT THE COLOR COAT EVEN IF YOUR SHOOTING A GLOSS TOP COAT. NORMALLY ON TWO STAGE YOUR TOP COAT IS NOT SHINY .YOU WILL GET MORE SHINE WITH CLEAR. MAINTENANCE ON CLEAR IS EASIER .. ALSO THE UV FACTOR IN THE TEXAS SUN IS ANOTHER REASON TO CLEAR COAT. WHEN YOU WAX/POLISH CLEAR YOU DON'T GET ANY COLOR PIGMENT ON YOUR CLOTH.

No comments:

Post a Comment